Timing, they say, is everything!
Negotiating pay is a delicate process! Studies show which day of the week is best to #talkpay and what you should drink to make you more resistant to settling for a bad deal.
Three Days of Strategic Action till Thursday
Psychology Today linked days of the week to attitudes and behaviours.
They found that as people progressed through the week they became more open. It seems Mondays really are the toughest!
MONDAY: Organize, plan, and delegate
TUESDAY: Follow your boss’s directions
WEDNESDAY: Avoid conflict with co-workers
THURSDAY: Ask for a favor or a raise
FRIDAY: Ask a colleague to do things your way
“As hard-line behavior disappears, we become more flexible and accommodating. Thursdays and Fridays find us most open to negotiation and compromise because we want to finish our work before the week is out,” reports Psychology Today.
Orange Juice or Coffee?
A study by the European Journal of Social Psychology found that caffeine made people more resistant to persuasion. This means you will stand your ground during the negotiation, reports Business Insider.
Cut to the chase about caffeine:
- Two experiments reporting the effects of caffeine consumption on attitude change
- Participants consumed an orange-juice drink that either contained caffeine (3.5 mg/kg body weight) or did not contain caffeine (placebo)
- The results across both experiments were similar.
- Attitudes formed after caffeine consumption resisted counterpersuasion (Experiment 1) and led to indirect attitude change (Experiment 2).
- The extent that participants engaged in message-congruent thinking mediated the amount of attitude change. Results provide evidence that moderate amounts of caffeine increase systematic processing of arguments
On Thursday, use caffeine for a bit of courage, but don’t have so much you can’t sit still!
MORE ON PAY NEGOTIATION SKILLS