A learnership has two key ingredients, an NQF qualification and job related experience. When you apply, organise your information according to this recipe.
Learnerships range from 12 – 18 months, earning candidates an industry relevant qualification and work experience to add to their CV.
Motivation and Purpose
WHEN YOU APPLY, YOU’RE IN A COMPETITION
Your application will either let you down or place you at the front of the pack.
A simple, well structured cover letter is your advert. It’s a summary of what you believe separates you from everyone else.
Don’t lie about details.
10 Tips for Awesome Cover Letters
- Spelling and grammar counts, make all communication perfect! Do a spell check.
- Don’t write a sentence you cannot explain in an interview. Be specific and honest about your skills and experience. Keep it friendly, brief and to the point.
- Each cover letter you write must be different as it must be based on the specific opportunity you are applying for.
- Mention key skills or experience listed in your CV relevant to the opportunity.
- If the advert lists requirements – explain how you meet each one. For example, if they request Matric, state that your certificate is attached.
- Never refer to what you don’t have, only focus on what you DO have, what you can do and what you know about the opportunity.
- If you are a disabled candidate (our ‘otherwise abled’ readers.), be specific about the disability as training providers and employers have a responsibility to adapting the environment so that you can be efficient and effective. (Note employers receive extra rewards when they select you, they are lucky to host you – but don’t let them know you know this!)
- You must believe you will be BRILLIANT if selected, use your cover letter to identify why you would be good for THEM.
- What you want to say will come naturally when you focus on what you want to achieve. Your focus will improve with more practice and as you make the effort.
- See our examples of cover letter templates and advice.
The more you write and apply, the closer you get to your dream!!!