Unemployed people are desperate to get a job, often just ANY job.
Although this isn’t good decision-making, in a country like South Africa where there’s high unemployment, people sometimes settle for something that isn’t their first choice. This post is about being true to who you are and grabbing your dream choices.
TIPS TO PLAN A CAREER AND GET A JOB
Step One: List the fields you are interested in
- Imagine you’re filthy rich. What work would you choose to do?
- Think of people like Bill Gates, he still works right? So you see that even billionaires have jobs? That’s how most of them became rich – because of their strong passion and willingness to pursue the interest. No matter how much money they make – they work because they totally love what they do. The benefit to being rich is that you get to choose your work.
So if you had to choose – what would it be?
Step Two: List your current skills and match them to fields you like
- A skill is something you can do. Do you have any hobbies? Hobbies are often where people should start matching skills to careers. Fo example, if you play sports, maybe you want to become a professional sports coach.
- Consider your people and communication skills. If you don’t like dealing with people issues and get impatient easily, find a career where you don’t have to interact with customers or clients to get your job done.
Step Three: Analyse. Do you need to study, if so what?
- If you can’t afford to study but need to, find a student loan or bursary.
- If your marks weren’t high enough, you need to find free qualification opportunities such as learnerships and apprenticeships. If you’re interested in business administration, for example, search for business administration learnerships.
Step Four: Identify. Which fields are the easiest ones to enter without a qualification?
- Many fields have positions available for unqualified people. For example, if you are interested in retail, you can get a job as a sales assistant without having qualifications and then work your way up.
Step Five: Decide what kind of Lifestyle you want.
- People choose careers for different reasons. Some want to earn unlimited amounts of money and are willing to take risks.
- Others want a job that will provide benefits such as pension and medical aid.
- Others will be happy in a career that will give them a salary doing work they enjoy.
Step Six: Plan. List the types of jobs you should consider and then hustle for them
- Look for jobs that match the first 5 tips as these would be your ideal choices.
- Looking for a job is all about what you WANT.
- Keep searching for alternatives that keep you in the field you want and bring you closer to your dream job.
- Remember – take any job in the field of your choice. But try avoid taking a job in a field that you don’t enjoy. But hey, no harm in trying out a field you know nothing about!
Apply for as many opportunities as you can.
HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION
- Follow the tips and write your information down.
- Include your career interests in your cover letter when you apply. This helps explain why the job is important for your career and will help you be invited to an interview.
- When you are interviewed, share your relevant career information to motivate why they should choose you.