Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) colleges in South Africa provide important opportunities for qualifying in different careers.
Northern Cape Colleges Information
Fifty registered and accredited public TVET Colleges in South Africa operate on more than 264 campuses across rural and urban areas. Public TVET Colleges are established and operated under the authority of the Continuing Education and Training Act 16 of 2006 and report to the Department of Higher Education and Training.
- Public TVET Colleges are funded by the state
- ore than 650 000 students in public TVET Colleges
- The Department of Higher Education and Training offers bursaries for National Certificate Vocational courses and courses at public TVET Colleges to students who meet the criteria.
- Bursaries are not loans.
- Bursaries are administered by the National Student Financial Aid Service (NSFAS).
- Other bursaries are also available, they vary from college to college. Ask the college you plan to enroll at about bursaries for the course you would like to study.
- Bursaries administered by the NSFAS, are available but are subject to two important criteria:
- Applicants undergo a ‘means test’ to establish if the student really does need financial assistance. A means test is not an actual test to be afraid of – it’s usually questions about your personal situation to see if you are someone who must be assisted.
- Applicants must have a good academic performance record.
- Prospective students who believe they meet these criteria should contact their nearest public TVET College. The college will provide the application forms and oversee the application process.
Modes of Delivery
Different colleges may offer qualifications in different ways – this is referred to as a ‘mode of delivery’. Some colleges also offer blended learning (e-learning) facilities for some course content. A number of the larger campuses have Open Learning Centres. Further information can be given by the college on this aspect when applying or enrolling for course admission.
What are these Qualifications Worth?
In an effort to ensure that courses are relevant to the needs of commerce and industry, public colleges go to great lengths to secure linkages and partnerships with key role-players in commerce and industry and with the Sector Education and Training Authorities (SETA’s). A number of colleges have a management division devoted to this aspect.
Job Shadowing and Practical Workplace Exposure
Public TVET colleges try as far as possible to facilitate job shadowing and practical workplace opportunities for top performing students. Many campuses also operate simulated enterprises to augment the need for practical exposure related to the course of study.
In an increasingly globalised labour market, a number of public TVET Colleges have international partnerships with similar institutions in various parts of the world. This ensures that education and training is internationally benchmarked with best practice in diverse international settings.
Northern Cape Colleges contact details
|College Name||Campus Name||Principal||Campus Manager||Postal Address||Physical Address||Tel. no.||Fax no.||E-mail Address|
|Northern Cape Rural FET College (B)||Mr P (Percy) Sago||P.O Box 1834 Upington||Steve Naude Streetemail@example.com|
|De Aar (140)||Ms E Mitchell||Private Bag x009 De Aar 7000||Van Riebeeck Street DeAar firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kathu (141)||Mr L Rens||Private Bag x504 Kathu 8446||Hans Coetzee Avenue Kathuemail@example.com|
|084 583 3281|
|Kuruman||Mr L Foutie||Private Bag x1529 Kuruman 8460||9 Voortreker Street Kurumanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Namaqualand (142)||Ms P Galeboe||PO Box 88 Okiep 8270||112 Main Road Okiepemail@example.com|
|Upington (143)||Mr W Delie||Private Bag x5975 Upington 8800||Steve Naude Street Upington firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Northern Cape Urban FET College (A)||Central Office||Dr CF (Clifford) Barnes||Private Bag X5031||Central Office||(053) 839 2000/2061||(053) 839 email@example.com|
|PA Aysha Adam||Kimberley||37 - 41 Long Street|
|City Campus||Mr W Jampies||Private Bag X5031||City Campus||(053) 839 2000||(053) 832 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kimberley 8300||Cullinan Cresent|
|Moremogolo Campus||Mrs P Galeboe||Private Bag X5031||Moremogolo Campus||(053) 802 4700||(053) 802 email@example.com|
|Kimberley 8300||77 Nobengula St Galeshewe Kimberley 8301|