Why Do You Want To Work Here?
A question frequently asked in interviews, you’re expected to have a great answer!
There’s a huge difference between a well thought out response and a spontaneous one. Don’t be spontaneous. Plan your answer thoroughly by researching the company and the job.
Prepare ‘Why do you want to work here?’
- Check the company website – what they do, their values and a bit about the people there.
- If it’s a big company, google ‘what’s it like to work at xxx’ – insert name of company. Sites such as Glass Door and The Job Crowd tell it like it is! Companies are rated in terms of salaries and benefits, management, corporate culture and job-life balance.
- Google the job title that you will have and find out more about the type of work you will do. Ask yourself if it’s enough to interest you.
Sometimes you need to say No
You may think any job will do. Truth is you need something suitable for your personality, dreams and ambitions.
Gather information and ask yourself if you want to work there. Score the company on things that are important to you. Think about:
- their image, are they leaders in a field? – any YouTube videos? Any unique and interesting information posted by the company that you can refer to?
- fair salaries
- fair treatment
If You Want To Apply
Research can help you make a decision. Here’s what to do if you want the job.
- Find useful information about the company.
- If you’re into design and know they won an award for it, let them know you were impressed by their work. Don’t just repeat what their website says, explain specific things you value. For example, if a company describes its culture as dynamic, don’t say: “I like the dynamic culture.” Instead, say: “You aren’t afraid to try new ways of doing things and always stay ahead of your competitors. That’s something I really admire.“
- How will your skills allow you to add value and contribute to the company?
- Perhaps you’re applying at a tech company where innovative curious minds are an asset. Give them an example of a time when you were innovative or decided to learn something new just because you could.
- What does the company say about corporate culture?
- If they look conventional, dress to fit in. Once you have the job you can slowly start introducing them to your inner crazy.
5 Great Topics to Impress
I want to work here because of :
• What the company does
– explain what it is about their product or service that interests you.
• The culture
– what do you like about the culture, is there anything specific? Most companies are pretty much the same, it’s companies like Google where you can expect really crazy culture. (I’d take a job there!)
• Your recent successes and accomplishments
• Company philosophy and mission
• The career development opportunities offered
You don’t have to be able to speak about all these points, but definitely prepare at least three.
- Say that you want the job because of the great salaries, benefits or holidays. This will make it look like you only want to be there for superficial reasons and don’t really care about the company.
- Apply if you can’t find anything to like. Use your research to find their competition and apply there.
Remember that finding a job is a two-way process. The company needs to see if you are right for them and you must also assess if they are right for you.
MORE ON INTERVIEW QUESTIONS