Thank You For Visiting



Information about education, pay and careers to set you free.

How to Register and Apply for SETA Learnerships via the Department of Labour

Learnership applicants do not pay for anything. There is no administration or registration fee and no payment must be made to recruiters.

Only complete forms on SETA, Government Department and trustworthy business websites. 

There are people who set up fake learnership links just to be able to get information from you.

Learnerships are government endorsed training programs that link the SETA, Training provider, Employer and Learner in a contractual relationship. Sometimes the Training Provider and Employer are the same organisation.

Either way, a learnership and apprenticeship is an opportunity to learn and earn.

 What is a Learnership?

A learnership is a structured learning program, just like a qualification you could do at a university or college. It includes a process for gaining theoretical knowledge and practical skills in a workplace. The qualification you receive is registered on the NQF and recognised nationally.

Learners participating in a learnership have to attend classes at a college or training centre to complete classroom-based learning. They also have to complete on-the-job training in a workplace. The workplace experience must be relevant to the qualification.  These learners have the same rights as a permanent or full-time employees but without the benefits.

What the Department of Labor Advises About Learnership Applications

6 Steps: How To Join a Learnership if you are Unemployed 

The following advice has been extracted from the Department of Labour website.

  Unemployed people must register as work-seekers. They must also look for employers and prepare a CV.

Many people don’t know this information!

If unemployed people want to join a learnership they must take the following steps:

Step 1: Decide what skills you want

Think about the kind of training and job you are looking for. E.g. if you like the outdoors, do not apply for office jobs. 
See this list of the SETAs for learnerships.
Different SETAs represent different industries. For example, the MICT SETA funds learnerships for IT and Media. The Services SETA funds hairdressing, management, business administration and many more.

Step 2: Register as work-seeker

Unemployed people must register as work-seekers at their nearest labour centre. This will help employers to find them if they want to start a learnership.

Register As A Work-Seeker 

The following links will take you to Labor Centre contact details for each province:

Step 3: Find employers that offer learnerships

Contact SETAs to find out which employers offer learnerships. Ask friends and family to look out for openings and watch adverts in newspapers.

For a list of SETA websites go here.

Step 4: Draw up a CV

Draw up a CV that gives –
  • personal details; (name, date of birth, etc.)
  • education; (school attended and qualifications)
  • work experience; (names of earlier employers and what you did)
  • other skills; and (driver’s license, computer skills, etc.)
  • referees. (names and contact details of people who know you well)
Think of the kind of questions you may be asked. Practice with a friend.

Click for advice on how to write cover letters

Step 6: Keep your details updated

Keep in contact with your labor centre and update your details when they change.

All links listed have been checked by Keep Climbing.

Please share and join our community by following us! 🙂


Negotiating A Salary? #TalkPay

Researching Salary Trends Before Job Interviews #TalkPay

Is Non Disclosure of Pay in Job Ads Equally Fair to Employers and Applicants? #HumanRights

What day of the week is best to ask for a raise?



Comments (77)

  1. We are doing inservice training without getting any stipends. How can we apply for seta we also need money to cover travelling cost and rental accommodation.

  2. We are doing inservice training without getting any stipends. How can we apply for seta we also need money to cover travelling cost.. HELP US!!!

  3. Johannes morubisi

    Your comment goes here. Hi my name is johannes im looking for a learnership around free states for plumbing or any learnership based on constractions

    1. Hi Simo! Register at the Department of Labour, go to them or do it online by following the links in this post.
      Good luck!

  4. Simo mzelemu

    How get help please.When last date.TTourism must take being drop out School money.

  5. I am Kgomotso Coetzee from Kimberley. I would like to enroll in an ECD practioner course this a stipend please inform me in what to do or where to go.

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: